At Yorkshire Animal Therapy, both Zara and Dominique are qualified to use Low Level Laser Therapy
LLLT uses specific wavelengths of red and infrared light energy to stimulate the light sensitive elements in target
tissue. The cells absorb this light energy and use it to function at an optimal level which results in a number of physiological changes and therapueutic effects.
1. Reduces pain
- Stimulates the release of endorphins which reduce pain threshold.
- Increased release of Serotonin.
- Decreased nociceptor action.
2. Reduces Inflammation
- Improves lymphatic drainage.
- Thus improving vascular activity in general.
3. Improves tissue repair & reduces scar tissue formation.
- Improved cell proliferation - LLLT is able to increase the number of cells in the target
- Stimulates fibroblast (connective tissue cell which produces collagen & other fibres) development in
- Increased ATP & protein synthesis
- Increased calcium uptake.
- Stimulates nerve function.
- Improved healing times results in reduced time "off-work".
4. Non Invasive & drug free
- Silent mobile unit with a range of laser types, all of which are readily accepted by animals due to their
non invasive nature.
- LLLT is drug free but the therapeutic effects achieved from treatment can also reduce the amount of pain
relief medication a patient may require. This is particularly useful to manage the side-effects of chronic conditions such as arthritis/hip dysplasia where long-term pain relief is often
5. Immune system support
- Increased lymphocyte activity.
- Photomodulation of blood.
LLLT is mainly used for superficial and vascular tissues making it an ideal treatment modality for wounds,
oedema (swelling/inflammation) and pain relief. However it also has many other applications;
- Bursitis & synovitis.
- Capped hocks/hock spavins.
- Wounds - open/closed, infected & clean.
- Mud fever.
- Tendon/ligament strains/injuries.
- Rain scold.
- General swelling/hameatomas/bruising.
- Muscle tears/strains/spasms.
- Removal of splints.
- Fracture healing.
- Post operative pain relief/wound healing.
- Back pain/spondylosis/intervertebral disk disease/hip dysplasia.
Single laser therapy sessions can be used for the maintenance of a long term condition such as arthirtis for
example however most conditions benefit from an inital intensive course at frequent intervals. In light of this block booking of laser appointments is available. As each condition varies and the
laser requirements to achieve the most optimal results do also please contact us to discuss how we can help your animal.